Wednesday, December 3, 2008

We Feel Blessed

I guess it's times like this that really forces one to assess life a little more than usual and to appreciate the small things. Bryn has had a rough week health wise and was rushed to hospital on Monday night with Septicemia, (a life threatening bacterial infection) in his nose, eye and cheek region. He had all the symptoms pointing to this very serious condition; swollen glands, red, inflamed infection, headaches, fevers that wouldn't break, sweating, vomitting, irritability and out of touch with reality.

Our family doctor diagnosed this as a very serious infection and promptly prescribed some broadspectrum antibiotics as well as blood thinners and mentioned he was concerned about blood clots entering the vein that runs over the brain. We rushed to our pharmacy to collect the medication and administered it as soon as he had managed to eat 2 bites of bread. We prayed and hoped things would improve from there. They didn't. I called our doctor and he didn't really see the need to hospitalize Bryn. Bryn kept repeating, I feel scared, Claire. I took matters into my own hands, and with the help of a kind friend, Elliott, we took him to the hospital at 7pm. After 3 hours of dragging our impatient patient around the emergency room, we finally got to see a real doctor who got things going very quickly. They drew blood, and within 30 minutes, came to start a course of very strong antibiotics. An opthamologist checked his eyes and thankfully, all was clear there. He was transferred to a different hospital by ambulance at 11pm and received intensive care that night. Elliott stayed with us up until Bryn was transported to the other hospital and he did a great job making things a little lighter and brighter for us. It was a great comfort having him there.

He now shares a high care hospital room with 3 old ladies who are constantly having messy bowel movements in their beds. Bryn is rivetted. He has his up and down times each day but feels grateful for such excellent care. The nurses and doctors are very clued up at this trainee hospital. Here are a few photos of our week:
1. Just before he was taken to hopspital (Monday)
2. The 2nd day in hospital (Tuesday)
3. Happy to see his girls
4. A photo Bryn insisted I take--the picture hanging up next to his hospital bed. (He says he loves it. This is a joke, by the way)
5. Walking around with his drip on wheels
6. Get well messages from Savannah and Madison
7. Madison's impression of Bryn, our Red Nosed Reindeer




The week has been spent running back and forth, caring for my best friend. And even though I had to rest my head on a pillow on Bryn's hospital bed yesterday afternoon, while my tummy grumbled with hunger, there is no other place I would have rather been. I feel privileged to have been able to be there to hold his hand and provide the comfort he needed. It's heartwrenching to see the one you love in pain and danger. Things can happen so quickly. We need to be aware of this each and everyday of our lives and live each day as though it was our last. I am so thankful for a loving Father in Heaven who we can turn to at any time. He has watched over us and blessed us with comfort and the knowledge that all would be fine. I am grateful for the family away from family we have here in Holland. My friend, Fiona took charge of the girls on Monday afternoon and all that night. She collected them from school, carted them to dance lessons, bathed them, fed them and put them to bed. Thank you so much. I have 'family' from church who have jumped in to provide meals for us for the rest of the week. We have received countless phonecalls, messages and sms' of love and support. We feel so blessed. I know how especially hard it is to be 'far away family' at a time like this, but know that we're in the best hands. We feel your love and prayers.

We will visit our boy each day this week and look forward to his discharge date. The doctors believe he'll be ready to return home on Friday. We're counting the sleeps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

love you guys. thinking and praying for you all the time.xx