
Today marks a significant day in my life and that of my siblings. It's the day Mum and Dad wed and created the beginnings of what we have loved and enjoyed for the past 29 years. Can you believe it all started when a tray of warm sausage rolls was spilled on Dad's feet? A fine young pharmacist fell in love with a fine young nurse and together, along with the Lord's guidance, built a foundation strong enough to nurture a marriage and invite and raise 6 girls into a part of this world called Durban, South Africa.
My first four years of life were spent in a big home in Durban North with a pool surrounded by a white fence and a green sloped garden. Other fuzzy memories I have of my life in Hudson Place consist of Dad coming home with blood all over his face after a minor motorbike accident, spending time with second cousins, Angela and Claire Loudon, taking swim lessons and holding on to the white pool fence for dear life at home as Mum tried to co-erce me into the pool for "private" swim lessons.
Then it was time to move on and up, up the hill to Kloof, where I chose the "pink room", lost my teeth, enjoyed many family Christmases, gained a couple of sisters and enjoyed years and years of childhood and teenage bliss. It was an amazing place to grow up, always somewhere the friends never wanted to leave. Kitted out with a trampoline, pool, volleyball court, playground, farm, bikes and miles of driveway and open space to play "moms", "churches", "catches" and "hopscotch". Mum was the birthday party queen. I remember her working so hard the week before the party, baking cupcakes, making snacks and games and most importantly, the prized birthday cake--a different theme each year.

It's a place I ended my single days, entering married life. The property transformed into a wedding venue over night. The cottage became the church and the garden, the reception area. What a special day, marrying my best friend in my most favourite place. Mum and Dad, you really did create the most fantastic environment for us. Mummy/Daughter, Daddy/Daughter dates, really special holidays, Father's Interviews on a Sunday night, scripture study, Family Home Evening, dinner at the table every night, encouragement to be the best we could possibly be. We are all so unique and you were able to tap in to that and help us realise our capabilities. Dad, I remember how excited I was when I had decided I could make my own money. I came to you on many occasions with proposals of setting up my own little businesses, to sell homemade chocolates to schoolmates, to bake and decorate Christmas cakes to sell to parents at the Beehive, to make my own dresses for church. Each and every time, I was met with ways to succeed, an attitude of help, support and enthusiasm for my efforts. Mum, you have always been an example to me of achieving what you set out to do. You've accomplished much these last 30 years--balancing motherhood with studies and a successful family business. I think the only scar I take with me from my young childhood is when you threatened to call the orphanage a couple of times, as we were all fighting and carrying on--doing what young children do best! Just jokes! It does make me laugh though! And now I know how you must have felt all those years ago, as life has come full circle and I get the chance to play mom.
And now that we're all grown up and some of us have left home or are in the process of, or close to leaving the nest, I realise what a change that must be for you. The big old house in Haygarth Road has always bustled with action, noise and goings on, for as long as I can remember. The evenings are much quiter now, the weekends maybe a little more peaceful. But know, that whevever we are in the world, we love and miss you. But more importantly, look forward with anticipation to the next time we can get to spend together as the big Courtney Family, getting to re-live all those wonderful memories, as well as creating many more new ones. The foundation has been laid for us to continue your legacy of faith, to raise righteous families of our own and to hopefully carry out half as good of a job as you did.
From this

to this




to a few years later, this



and then this
and now, this!




Happy 30th anniversary, Mum and Dad, and a very HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you, Mum. I love you. xxx



3 comments:
What a sweet post. It was fun to see pictures of you growing! :) And congrats to your parents - 30 years is quite the accomplishment.
That was such a wonderful surprise for my birthday and our anniversary.Thankyou my sweet for all the trouble that you went to, to do all that. Love looking at your blog
Love mum
you and Madison look exactly alike in the high chair picture. cute post!
Post a Comment