Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The world's best kept secret

I was 9 when my mom sat me down and told me that Father Christmas isn't real. And then she burst into tears! I wondered why she was so sad, as I was still promised the fabulous Christmas prezzies every year.

Now I know why. I'm nearing that same phase in my life and I feel the same way my mom did all those years ago.

Savannah came home today and told me her friend had told her that "Sinterklaas" is not real. I tried to play it down and reassure her that all was fine and Sinterklaas is still indeed real. Father Christmas may not receive too much flak here, as the Dutch don't really know much about him. It's only a matter of time though. Once she figures out that one of them is not real, I'm sure she'll put two and two together. I just want to be the one who tells her, though. Come to think of it, she's been a spoilt little kid, benefitting from both Sint and Santa! But here's my question to you. When should I tell her? I'm hoping she'll last until this Christmas and then I guess I can sit her down and tell her what my mom told me, 21 years ago! By 9, children are ready to find out the truth, but it's always harder for the mom. It's one of those experiences where time past stares you in the face and reminds you that your little girl is growing up. How did I get here so quickly?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AAAAH shame my sweet. I remember that day so well. Soo hope she lasts till this Christmas. Hardest kept secret is for the older children to keep it from the younger ones.
Love mum

Anonymous said...

Oh shame - im really not looking forward to spilling the beans with my two later on - hope it goes well. Shea

Anonymous said...

I used to play it down when they were smaller. But when they came to me earnestly looking for an answer, I decided that lying to them was a bad idea. I always waited until they asked though.