Monday, June 8, 2009

Friends


Friendship isn't always easily described. The Eskimos, they say, have a hundred different words for snow. Unfortunately, the English language isn't quite as innovative, though, it has vast opportunities to differentiate meaning. Certainly, love is one of those opportunities. And so, too, is Friendship.

Instead of different words, however, we're stuck with simple adjectives. Close friend. Best friend. Childhood friend. Intimate friend. Trusted friend. Beloved friend. But whether you use adjectives or different words, few could deny the nearly infinite meaning in such a simple word.

Friends are special people. They can be as diverse and infinite as the adjectives we choose. Our friends, in a very real sense, reflect the choices we make in life.

I feel so privileged to have so many wonderful friends in my life. Some who live nearby, others far away, ones who have moved abroad, and even those who I've only met a couple of times, but have been able to get to know better over the telephone and cyberspace! Each and every one has had an impact on my life, each and every one has left a mark. Some may never pass my way again, but no matter what, I am grateful for the impression that they made and the lessons I have learned.

No comments: