Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Recipe of the Week: Christmas Cake


This is certainly a winner. I have made it time and time again as Christmas and wedding cakes and folks have raved about it. It's not my doing--all credit goes to Granny Marzie.

Christmas Cake
Granny Marzie

12 oz (340g) butter
12 oz (340g) brown sugar
6 eggs
2 Tbsp golden syrup
16 oz (450g) flour
½ lb (225g) currants
½ lb (225g) sultanas
½ lb (225g) raisins
¼ lb (110g) cherries
¼ lb (110g) blanched almonds
1 wineglass brandy
2 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp of each: cinnamon, ginger, cloves
1 tsp bicarb

Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs one at a time, then sifted dry ingredients, fruit and brandy.
Lastly, 1 tsp bicarb dissolved in a little hot water.
Do not grease baking tin Line with greaseproof paper in double or treble thickness.
Create a well in middle of mixture to prevent rising.
Bake in a slow oven—about 300 deg F (150 deg C) for 2 ½ - 3 hours.
Remove from tin when cool.

I took a cake decorating course back in high school and have used this skill hundreds of times. Dad helped me set up a little business and I literally had a little cake factory going at one stage. He very patiently put up with my tantrums during the learning phase, when the icing just wouldn't do what I wanted it to do! I have had the privilege of making and decorating all of the Courtney wedding cakes as well as many for friends and extended family. This is last year's cake.


I've been inspired by the BBC Good Food Magazine and have chosen this design for 2008.

No comments: