Hernia surgery was a tad more stressful and painful than anticipated. The surgeon did a great, neat job though. I freaked out a little the day after, as the swelling was quite significant and I worried about the timing of this surgery and competition. Thank goodness it was just swelling and bruising. The wound is a lot better and I feel stronger each day. I am so grateful to Bryn for his help with the girls and the time he spent helping me, to Angie, for the delicious meal she brought over for the family, to Fiona who lovingly did my laundry and cleaning and sorting out in the home, as well as her listening ear and gorgeous roses, to Ruth-ann for coming over and plonking herself on my bed on Wednesday evening to chat and lift my spirits, to Melanie and Lamar for the beautiful flowers, to Allison, for the calls and sms', to Amy for checking in on me, to Josie for the facebook message, to my family in South Africa for their love and contact. I feel grateful.
Competition week has arrived. I'm off to be smothered in brown tan today, I'm eating lots of green apples and aminos, drinking 4 litres of water a day and taking things real easy. I am so excited to compete in my first ever figure competition this weekend. Bling...check, make-up trial...check, accessories...check. I'm ready!
We were privileged to have our good friend, Elliott Nelson come and stay with us last night. We love the Nelson's and miss them very much. It's always such fun to have friends and family visit.
Getting the girls ready for school has always been a chore. That's all changing. Bryn implemented a marvelous 'getting ready for school system' in our home and it's working very well. We take turns waking the girls and monitoring the stop watch. They get given 15 minutes to join the family for scripture study, 15 mintues to get dressed and tidy bedrooms, make beds etc, 15 minutes for breakfast, and 15 minutes to brush teeth, pack suitcase and put on shoes and jackets. What a difference it makes to my day! I no longer have to be right behind them, keeping them in check. It's up to them how they spend each 15 minute block. If for instance, one of them decide to stay in bed, so be it. They do know though, that the car leaves at 8:30am sharp,and they are to come as is. Hooray for a wonderful husband. He's such a good daddy.
We're quickly learning that Sophie is smarter than us all. She's fast and determined and likes to draw on walls and floors, get into things she really shouldn't and basically creates a merry trail of destruction behind her all day long. She loves the dustbin, she's a climber and knows just exactly what she wants. She keeps me fit, at least! But somehow, despite the craziness, she melts our hearts and makes us laugh.
Bryn and I are trying to teach our Savannah the art of independence, time management and self-motivation. I really didn't think it would be this hard! As a child, I didn't need to be reminded to do my homework or assignments...ever! I couldn't rest easy until I knew it was complete. Savannah is teaching me patience. Every child is so different and each come with their own set of strengths and abilities. She successfully completed and presented a Dutch book review and church talk this week. We're proud of her and look forward to many more hours of school projects and presentations. :)
Happy week to you all!
Monday, September 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
ALL the best for your competition!! Most of all, enjoy it :)
Gld you are so much better, Claire, and good luck for your competition - knock 'em dead!!
Love, Nanni and Oompah
Have a fantastic time in Milan Claireabelle!(Glad you've recovered well btw) Very exciting, and I love the 15 minute block plan for the mornings...my kids need to be in the car by 7am though:( Wish we had the 8:30am time slot too! Seriously considering home schooling...xx
Glad you are feeling so much better. Best of luck for the competition. You've trained hard and will do well.
Love you
mum
Post a Comment