The female portion of the Harries family is scheduled to sign away South African citizenship in 2 weeks. It's a sad thought, but it'll never change who we are. Bryn will continue holding dual South African/British nationality. Inside, I will always be South African. Our daughters will probably feel those ties, but in diluted measure, of course, as they have spent the majority, if not all their lives in The Netherlands. We're just so lucky. We have TWO homes.
As I reflect on these two homes, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the rich blessings I have. I am grateful for an amazing upbringing in the most beautiful country. The foundation of who I am and am yet to become, was laid there. I am grateful for rights, freedom, safety and security here in my second home country. It's where I've spent most of my married and parenting life. It's offered me so much. I've grown and enjoyed learning and developing. I'm learning to accept and appreciate a culture that seemed so foreign 7 years ago. We take the best from both cultures and celebrate life and the opportunities we've had to experience something different.
Saturday, February 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment