Thursday, January 28, 2010

Dutch Exam

I'm still working towards naturalization. It's been a long haul, but I'm learning and developing confidence to speak a foreign language with mistakes, and be OK with that. Afterall, that's how we learn. I understand most conversations. The spoken side is following a little ways behind, but I'm pretty proud of my ability, considering I haven't taken any formal courses.

This afternoon was my dreaded panel interview at the town hall in Utrecht, with 2 Dutch examiners and a tape recorder. I walked into a little exam room and introduced myself, smiling sweetly, in the hopes of winning them over. I was interviewed for 15 minutes, discussing situations in the portfolio (conversations/interactions I've had in Dutch society in connection with health, education and citizenship) I had put together last year. The second task of 15 minutes, was to write a letter to a friend explaining the ins and outs of compiling a Dutch portfolio. I'll receive my results within a month. Rather a long time, in my opinion. But whatever the outcome, I am relieved it's over.

Now, on to tomorrow's challenges. Bring them on!

3 comments:

Leslie Green said...

Did you find your appointment easily with your new GPS? :)

Good luck on the results!

Anonymous said...

Well done Claire - we are all so proud of you and the way you tackle challenges!! Love You. Mom.

Anonymous said...

How long until you find out if you passed or not? Hope all goes well.