
Sophie hasn't been gaining weight fast enough. It's been a worry for the last couple of weeks. 4110g is just not enough for a 7 week old who weighed 3882g at birth. Two days ago, our paed advised me to express 90ml x 7 to determine whether she battles to drink that amount or if it's a low milk supply. I got home to start searching in the depths of our store room for a breast pump I knew I had. Found it, sterilised it, went out to buy a bottle and started to pump. 40ml and no more. I cried. How could this be possible? I was convinced it was Sophie who had the problem. Afterall, I successfully breastfed Madison for 2 years. I should know what I'm doing. This is my third baby. How could I possibly only have 40ml of nourishment to offer my tiny baby?
Angel #1 (Bryn) went out to purchase formula. I cried. Sophie cried. He consoled me. I cried.
Angel #2 (My mom) listened and tried to console a rather frustrated and desperate daughter on the other side of the world.
Angel #3 (Fiona) magically arrived at 10pm and gave me a hug. I cried. Sophie cried. She talked some sense into my head. I cried. I bathed Sophie while Angel #3 prepared a bottle. Sophie flattened it in 4 minutes. She smiled. I smiled. And we all went to bed happy.
My guess is that baby Sophie hasn't been drinking enough, which has slowed down my milk production, which has resulted in below average weight gain and a stressed mother. I feel foolish that it's taken 7 weeks to figure this all out. The fact that she's been sleeping through the night boggles me, but I need to quit being hard on myself and do what's best for Sophie, as a happy baby = a happy mommy. I spent the majority of yesterday attached to a pump in the hopes that my body will begin producing a sufficient supply for my baby. I'm giving it my best shot and really hope to continue breast feeding, but time will tell.
And as for Sophie, she's been as content as could be with a full tummy all day. She actually has 3 distinct periods of eating, awake time and sleeping now. Before, it all was all one fuzzy blur. She's a star.



2 comments:
Oh my friend! I know how you feel, that's exactly (almost to the letter!) what happened to me with Ethan. I was also heartbroken. My thoughts and prayers are with you, you are doing the best you can for your baby and she will know that. If it's any comfort, Ethan turned out just fine and is generally very healthy and happy :-). Lots of Love, Nicola
Shame my dear. Dont worry, you're a star mum!!! Hope you feel better. Love you lots.xx
Post a Comment