
Bryn's MBA has been such a blessing in our lives. He's allowing it to mould and change him {for the better}. He's a talented teacher and has made sure that we take this journey of change along with him.
At the dinner table the other night, Bryn taught me one of the most significant lessons I've ever learnt. The penny dropped; it made such sense. It's something I so desperately need to practice at this stage of my life but more importantly, to understand. He made an interesting statement: When the only tool you have is a hammer, it is tempting to treat everything as if it were a nail.
He asked the girls what this could possibly mean. Explaining such metaphors to a 4 and 8 year old can be hilarious. They seemed to follow. So, what does this actually mean my fellow blog readers?
Just like a hammer can't be used to install a screw, or a wrench couldn't be used to successfully drill a hole in the wall, so, using incorrect tools in our relationships with others can create a mess, just as big as the one created by 'drilling' a hole with a wrench. Each situation in our day requires some sort of 'tool' from our toolbox. Will only one tool or one leadership style be enough? Will the effectiveness of one tool span every situation? Does the tool or tools we choose to use shape those with whom we interact?
The concept known as the law of the instrument, (Abraham) Maslow's hammer, or a golden hammer is an over-reliance on a familiar tool. Certainly, there is a time and place for this familiar tool, but with over-use, it becomes ineffective.
Bryn was up late last night with work. Lightening struck and the lights went out. He decided to wait until morning to fix the fuse as the kids has bust his torch. I woke and tried to fix the problem. The fuse wasn't the problem. I tried very hard to think of a blessing in this. I don't have any electicity, my freezer is thawing out, my microwave doesn't work, so I can't sterilise Sophie's bottles, BUT, I DO have the use of my washing machine, tumble dryer and dishwasher. Weird. My mind was racing to all sorts of outcomes. No electrician for a couple of days {some things do take forever to get sorted out in this country}. The phones weren't working, so once Bryn left for work with his cell phone, I wouldn't be able to contact help. {My cell phone was dead}. It was getting-ready-for-school-crazy-hour, I was on hold with our electicity company, Sophie was crying, the girls needed to be rounded up to brush teeth and pack school bags. Sigh. Time was ticking. Finally, someone answered the phone, but he couldn't speak English. Not a lick. And my Dutch wasn't going to get me through this dilemma. Double sigh. In frustration, I reverted back to my familiar tool--a hammer. I kind of freaked out at this point {just a little}.
I'm sure Maslow's Maxim could have been practiced here. Another tool certainly could have been picked. Afterall, there's more than one way to skin a cat.
Oh, and our electricity is back on again, just in case your were wondering.
I'm curious to hear your thoughts...



4 comments:
Thanks for sharing your lesson. Um.....er......you forgot to mention how the lights came back on :-) B
Thats such a wonderful lesson. I've always thought bryn wasn't just a pretty face:)hehe, jokes. I really have always admired him for the analogy's and lesson's he teaches, and how he implements all those lessons in his childrens' lives. Its very inspiring. Elder Hill used a similar analogy at our wedding ceremony and said that we both have a box of tools in life that define who we are, and that we neeed to draw some of those tools to effectively use in eachother's lives, but be careful not to take eachothers tools out and discard them. It was a wonderful thing to think about and i often think about that when we have small arguments about our differences. Lovely post
Just what I needed to think about today - thank you :-) do so love my hammer! Thanks for always being so inspiring. Lots of love, Nicola
Thanks for the thoughts Claire. I needed to hear that, it makes so much sense. I am glad I found your blog, it will become a favourite haunt, I am sure.
Post a Comment