Saturday, May 3, 2008

Family Home Evening

I'm the eldest of six kids (6 girls!). I had a bit of a sheltered childhood. My parents are still married and still live in the same house I grew up in (except for the stint in Durban North). I grew up on a big property where we raced each other around the garden, jumped on the trampoline all day long, swam until we were wrinkled, built hide outs in the bushes and played moms a lot of the time. I loved my pink bedroom and spending Christmas with family and relations. My favourite movies growing up were The Sound of Music, Annie and Grease. All in all a pretty fun and uneventful childhood, one I consider to be uneventful because it's becoming more and more rare to find a family intact these days. I owe the unity, bond and strength of our family to obedient and righteous parents who faithfully held Family Home Evening. It has always been a priority and a well loved Monday night activity.

Last Monday was no exception. We were treated to a delicious beef roast with all the trimmings a-la-Margaray and then enjoyed a really fun family home evening. Since wedding bells are ringing in the Courtney household, all the married couples in the family were asked to write a list of tips and tricks that have strengthened and enriched their marriages, to help Gavin and Gemma on their way. I was amazed at how much we all came up with and how we can all learn from each other. Shea and Vernon are so good, kind and considerate of each other and have a wonderful union. Heila and Jerry are a good team. They are both a lot of fun and laugh a lot together. Mum and Dad have pulled together during many hardships and have achieved a lot in their marriage. Not only raising 6 daughters, but raising them well is such a noble accomplishment. We love you Mum and Dad.








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey China what's with the finger together sign. Nice blog entry