Friday, April 10, 2009

First, Second and Third

With my first I was sick for 14 weeks during pregnancy.
With my second I had morning sickness for 3 weeks.
With my third I had day sickness for 7 weeks.

With my first I loved being pregnant.
With my second I loved it.
With my third I battled in the first trimester, plodded along in the 2nd and thoroughly enjoyed the 3rd--up until the point I was overdue. Once I was overdue, everyday seemed like a month.

With my first we decided to go the natural route and have a home/water birth.
With my second we went to the hospital and again went the natural route.
With my third, hospital it was and every one on the medical team knew I wanted an epidural. It's not very common here, but I insisted. Bliss.

With my first we were living in South Africa.
With my second we lived in Holland.
With my third we're still Dutchies.

With my first I went 8 days over and jumped out of bed at 1:30am with some mean labour pains. My water was broken artificially at about 9cm. My labour lasted 5 1/2 hours.
With my second I was 2 weeks over. My water was broken artificially once again (at home). I endured a bumpy and painful ride to the hospital. Labour lasted 3 hours.
With my third, I impatiently waited until I was almost 10 months pregnant for the midwives to finally hand me over to a gynaeocologist for induction at 42 weeks. Labour lasted 6 hours.

With my first I got up at night, in the dark, prepared and heated formula, sat in a chair and bottle fed.
With my second I barely pushed the pillow up behind me, turned on my lamp to make sure she latched on right and then I usually fell asleep while she ate.
With my third, I lie in bed, she feeds in the dark and I dose off.

With my first I cleaned the house while she slept.
With my second I tried to sleep while she slept.
With my third I get the older kids to clean the house!

With my first I hardly understood the power of a swaddle.
With my second I swaddled a bit but still didn't really get it right.
With my third I swaddle her and keep her wrapped up most of the day.

With my first I couldn't figure out why she didn't just "fall asleep" on her own.
With my second I knew to put her down awake.
With my third, I use whatever I can to get her to sleep--a swing, a 'wipstoel', a carseat, a dummy, an older sister.

With my first Bryn had to hold me down as we let her cry herself to sleep for 3 nights at 5 months.
With my second she slept through the night from 3 days.
With my third she feeds at 11pm and then wakes again at 5am. Pretty good going so far!

With my first I read every parenting book I could find.
With my second I re-read every parenting book I could find.
With my third I threw out the parenting books.

With my first I wondered how people ever managed more than one child.
With my second I wondered how many more we could have.
With my third I am looking at things realistically.

3 girls make my heart so happy. I'm grateful for this beautiful gift of 3 healthy children.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great post! And Sophie is doing great to sleep from 11-5. :) Audrey gives me 2 5-hour stretches at night, so 6 hours is great at 10 days old!